Welcome to my news page which I keep up-to-date with any significant information about me and my work, such as exhibitions for example. You can find more detailed and regular updates on how I work on social media. You can access them through my website or go directly via my Instagram or Facebook accounts.
 
This news page started its life in autumn 2016 when I was required to write a blog during my MA degree course in Ceramics at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, UK. Thus, going back you will find many blogs chronicling my artistic developments along with more personal observations made during those two years. 

Outcome of large "Middle-East meets South-West" piece

So, this figure is finally ready for glazing. I am very nervous as so much time has gone into making it and especially into decorating it with underglazes. How shall I best glaze it? First off I carefully paint on wax resist to the white band and areas wrapping around the figure. I don't want these glazed. After some discussions I've decided that pouring the slip over the figure would be best. I know that it is quite forgiving when it comes to drips and doesn't go cloudy where applied thicker. With Dave's help I actually get such a good overall coverage that I only need to need to touch up very few areas on the underside which didn't get glazed. I just used a paintbrush for this. It doesn't

Version 3 of Learning Agreement

Getting ready for my big assessment tomorrow I've managed to hone my newest version of the Learning Agreement. This is a chance to take stock work I've done so far while planning ahead on how best to spend my time and energy until we finish in October this year. I started this MA in October 2016 and the further down the study route I go the more I am finding my own artistic voice. Obviously, my working practices and outcomes are getting more focussed but the biggest change between version 2 and 3 of this Learning Agreement is my greater understanding of the Context/Rational of my work. That is, I am finding out what ideas and personal motivations underpin my focus on surface decorations. Up

Large Figure in Porcelain/White Stoneware Clay

This was the last large figure started in the set of four I decided to make as a group. This time I chose Valentine's Clays PF700G - a mix of white stoneware clay and porcelain and grog. It fires really white in hight temperatures but is a pig to handbuild with. It is worth it if it works out though. I wanted a white body as I'm planning to use a fake celadon over this and need a white body for that. Anyway, here is my making process: 1. Starting off with the first couple of coils following the outline drawn on the paper. 2. This time I've left it to last to close up the limbs so that I had the longest time possible to reach the inside the smooth out all the coils and also the ensure the mos

Large Figure: Middle-East meets South-West

Having consulted with Valentine's Clay what their best white stoneware clay for hand building is I went for their ES40 clay. As with the previous black and red large figures I started with a drawn outline on paper onto which I would coil one half of the figure. Once the first half is completed I let it firm up a bit before turning over - well supported by foam and pads of bubble wrap. I also make sure that I really compress and smooth out all the coils internally in order to avoid any cracks later on. While coiling the top half I decided that I wanted to cinch in its waist as it was getting to wide. Thus I tied a bit of plastic around its middle as a support. As these figures need so much pa

Outcome of Large Red Clay Figure

(Following on from a previous blog entry:) So, this time I projected a the rim of an Iznik plate onto this figure and shellacked the pattern. Translating the colours into a two tone pattern wasn't difficult but I decided to add extra detail by having the white background filled in with dots. Next I kept to the same pattern family of Iznik inspired decorations but drew those in freehand. This allowed me much more control over the scale and level of detail of these pattern areas. As the projected areas were quite large in scale which was accentuated through the distortion through the projection, I kept it much tighter in the hope that it would create a nice contrast. I also added a few larger

Outcome of Large Black Clay Figure

(Following on from previous blogs:) Making sense of a spidery web of lines across the figure was really, really hard. So, I just picked up the most recognisable elements and painted those on while leaving some other elements for later to fill in. When viewing this piece from a certain angle, which replicates the positioning of the image projector used to cast the initial pattern onto the piece for marking up, the distorted pattern visually realigns itself. I wonder how many people will actually ever notice this. This drawing had originally more colours, i.e. white, black, red and green. I made a mistake by not working out how this would translate into a two tone pattern before painting on th

Archive
Search By Tags

© 2020 by Micaela Schoop.| All rights reserved.