top of page

Outcome of Large Black Clay Figure

(Following on from previous blogs:)

Making sense of a spidery web of lines across the figure was really, really hard. So, I just picked up the most recognisable elements and painted those on while leaving some other elements for later to fill in.

Making sense of the mapped out pattern

When viewing this piece from a certain angle, which replicates the positioning of the image projector used to cast the initial pattern onto the piece for marking up, the distorted pattern visually realigns itself. I wonder how many people will actually ever notice this.

Pattern realignment
Correcting a mistake

This drawing had originally more colours, i.e. white, black, red and green. I made a mistake by not working out how this would translate into a two tone pattern before painting on the shellac. Thus, I had to change the dotted areas to solids to allow the other adjacent areas to be dotted. This also meant that I had to scratch out white deciding lines. This is not the best way of ensuring clean lines as the shellac is brittle and splinters off.

I decided to add strong lines around the outside of the patterned areas to keep them contained.

Finished Islamic geometric pattern

Below left: Next I added some other fields which are filled with Pueblo inspired patterns. These are not distorted but painted on freehand.

Below right: I decided that I wanted a denser pattern and added extra lines between the patterns. Then I carefully water etched the figure. This was more difficult than with other clays as it contains lots of grog.

Added Pueblo pattern
Water etched

Because this piece is not going to have any glaze applied to it I decided to fire it from bone-dry all the way to stoneware bypassing an additional bisque firing stage. Dave put it on an extremely cautious slow firing.

Pattern blemish
Kiln shelf contact blemish

I am really pleased with the finished result. The patterns work well with the final shape, the colour contrasts work well and the fired clay colour is what I was looking for. Only slight blemishes are on left: pattern not as defined where I didn't apply the shellac thick enough to resist the water etching and right: slight lighter colouration where the piece was touching the kiln shelf during firing.

Finished piece

This piece combines influences of Pueblo potter Maria Martinez's black-ware with Pueblo decorations and geometric Islamic patterns. I am very pleased with the cross-cultural pattern references on this very biomorphic shape.

Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page